Falls are the source of many injuries and visits to the emergency room. Do you know the facts about how prevalent they are and how they are caused?
Where falls happen is a place that is most familiar to people – their home.
Every year three million older people are treated in emergency rooms for injuries suffered by falling.
One in five falls will cause serious injury, such as broken bones or a head injury. It can be even more dangerous. Falls are the leading cause of death in adults 65 years and older.
Several conditions can impact falls:
- Lower body weakness
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Vision problems
- Foot pain
- Poor, non-supportive footwear, such as slides and flip flops
- Difficulties with walking and balance
- Loose items on the floor, such as area rugs or electrical cords
- Use of certain medicines such as sedatives or antidepressants
- Hazards in the home such as broken steps or uneven floors
MANY falls are caused by a combination of risk factors, not just one thing. Speak to your healthcare provider about potential risk factors. Find ways to lower your risk now BEFORE you fall!